Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Residency in Sefrou
After two days spent in the Medina of Sefrou, with a group of amazing artists from all over the world, I am ready to start writing on this blog. 
I needed these days to get my marks on the surrounding area, getting to know the place (more or less), the people, where to get this and that, etc.
Today we started visiting the former Jewish School, including an old synagogue, which is very well kept by a Moroccan family. In Morocco, Jewish cemeteries and Synagogues, houses, are usually well kept. 
I always get some emotional when it's concerning Jewish places, especially from Maghreb origins. Here in Morocco, I understand the sense of the language since I've heard it at home, from my great fathers and mothers - along with French - and from my parents. When I hear Moroccan in the streets I feel at home, comfortable and welcome. Might be difficult to understand that to some Israelis, locked in their pre-judgmental stages. built both by the media, politics and ignorance. In French we say : " l'ignorance tue" (ignorance is a killer). 
I am sharing the house with a young Moroccan dancer, contemporary dancer, Said El Haddaji. Being a dancer in Morocco is not so easy socially, especially when you are the only child in the family. He is working for the Chergui dance company, here is a trailer of what he is doing. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-Ea6drSezk
I met from the artists residents, a museum curator from Croatia, an American artist run gallery owner, and many fabulous artists. Not to mention the Residency Culture Vultures Residency initiator and manager Jess Stephens, who is an exceptional person, who creates value through art, linking the local community of Sefrou to culture and art. We've talked about a future cooperation.
Tomorrow I will start enquiring for my research of weaving and symbolism. 
Good night dears.

Sharon Toval
Art Curator




No comments:

Post a Comment